Author Topic: My BWS written off so what to get  (Read 349 times)

Offline fredster

• Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: Scooter
  • Town: Krugersdorp
My BWS written off so what to get
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:08:58 AM »
Ok, so I had a prang a couple of weeks ago. So the steering column bent somewhere and has to be welded. The bike shop informed me that they could do it but won't recommend it. The scooter BWS100 , is old , twostroke 30k kms on the clock. So, what do I replace it with. Had a look on gumtree etc. And second hand bws(irrespective of age, 12k, 16k(WTF)? 2-strokes go high 10,000s. Do I get a new scooter for R20k, Yamaha bws or second hand? Think the second hand market has gone nuts.

Offline Gert

• SCOOTER ADDICT
  • Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: BWS100, Wee-Strom
  • Town: Eastern Cape
Re: My BWS written off so what to get
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about your prang. Hope you are ok.
Have to agree with you on the 2nd hand market has gone nuts. At prices being asked for a 2nd hand BWS, I could for very little extra secure a motorcycle. Just look on Gumtree or OLX to see what I mean.
To me, the twist and go below a 220cc is becoming a danger on the roads, in that the cagers (cars / taxi / buses) simply don't care about them or don't see them... cagers are bigger so get out the way mentality.  The larger cc at least gives a person a bit more power to keep up with traffic. or get in front, if the need arises. It's a pity though, as the scooter is plenty fun to ride and fills a gap for those who used this cheap mode of transport, plus there is a huge following.

Offline 2Boosted

• SCOOTER FREAK
  • Braaaaaap!
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha BWS, Jonway Galactica 150
  • Town: Johanneshole
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:25:48 PM »
Ok, so I had a prang a couple of weeks ago. So the steering column bent somewhere and has to be welded. The bike shop informed me that they could do it but won't recommend it. The scooter BWS100 , is old , twostroke 30k kms on the clock. So, what do I replace it with. Had a look on gumtree etc. And second hand bws(irrespective of age, 12k, 16k(WTF)? 2-strokes go high 10,000s. Do I get a new scooter for R20k, Yamaha bws or second hand? Think the second hand market has gone nuts.

Fredster, I have a mate that's looking for spares for his BWS on a budget - barrel, piston, etc. If you do decide to get a new scoot, let me know if you'd consider selling your broken one?

Offline Quinie

• SCOOTER ADDICT
  • Awe!
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha BWS
  • Town: Centurion
  • Whatsapp: 0827773266
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Let me know if you sell. Would like to get the ignition. Hahaha. As you know mine is not lekker.

Offline fredster

• Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: Scooter
  • Town: Krugersdorp
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
Sorry guys, its been written off ans salvaged? by the insurance. Not sure where it goes from there.

Offline Spy

• TECHNICAL GURU who's also a poet and he doesn't even know it
  • TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
    • Accessories 4 Motorcycles / aka Urban Rider
  • BBM: 2AECFA4D
  • Scooter/Bike: TB100-YW100-YQ100-Runner180-Dragster180
  • Town: Cape Town... by the Big Flat Mountain!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Sorry guys, its been written off ans salvaged? by the insurance. Not sure where it goes from there.

Most motorcycle & scooter write-off's go to www.bikepartsonline.co.za as they contracted to the insurance companies, especially Santam.
Dodgy thing is, the owner of BPonline is the son of the main motorcycle assessor for Santam...  :shocked: conflict of interest if you ask me!?

If you ever want to buy the wreck back, you need to inform your insurance broker at the beginning of your claim, otherwise they uplift the bike before the claim is finalised and you will battle to get it back from the salvage company.
Ask your broker for a buy back price and weigh up your options to see if it's a viable option.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:48:31 PM by Spy »
Twitter & Instagram @A4MBiker / LIKE on Facebook!