Author Topic: Purchase advice needed  (Read 95 times)

SA SCOOTERS and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bladewalker

• Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Airblade 110
  • Town: Pretoria
Purchase advice needed
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Hi all

I'm actually posting on behalf of the wife. The lady has a 2010 Honda NC110 Airblade, since new. Apart from the general maintenance and one or two other minor issues, the bike has been trouble free. Until Monday. Honda Menlyn tell us the fuel pump is busted. A replacement will take up to 3 weeks to get here, and the cost with Labour will be R4200. The scoot has 44300km on the clock and travels up to 27-30km's per day. so the first question is.............

Is it worth it to fix? I have learned in the last couple hours that 44000km is pretty good for a scoot doing this kind of commute. How much longer before something else goes wrong that Honda can hold us ransom for!

Also, the timeline to get the part is utterly ridiculous, but that unfortunately is out of our control, and the Lady cannot be without it for 3 days let alone 3 weeks!

So what is the other option? Buy another scooter? what make?

What scooter could we expect the same service from doing 30 odd km's per day. I wouldn't bet on the Chinese much, but reading around, it would appear that Kymco or SYM are great buys, and reliable scooters. Also, what about buying Honda again? they don't have the Airblade anymore but have an Elite 125? I haven't been able to find much feedback on it vs the Taiwanese makes. The Lady is also quite small, so anything over 125 is going to ride her, let alone the other way around.

Guys, any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated and valued.

Best regards

Jason

Offline Mighty Mouse

• STICKER BOFFIN
  • TERRORIST
  • There's no replacement for Displacement!
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Silverwing FSC600
Re: Purchase advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
Hi Bladewalker, I'm only 2 bricks and a tickie high and manage to trundle around on a 600cc scooter. The trick is to get one of the touring models with a lower seat and ask for help when reversing! I have only ever ridden Hondas and a SYM and would recommend either wholeheartedly! If your true love is doing mileage every day, I would recommend you treat her to a 300cc SYM. She will love it and it will safely go to 100 000kms before replacement!  :applause:
MM
Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.

Online SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
  • Scooter/Bike: Anything with two wheels and an engine
  • Town: Velddrif. West Coast
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
"A replacement will take up to 3 weeks to get here, and the cost with Labour will be R4200"

Please ask them for a Pro Forma Invoice....and email to me. This is daylight robbery  :pk:
www.sascooters.co.za 

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. The rest was made in China.
Loncin 150 Racer, Yamaha 250XT, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide...a Rubberduck, a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Offline Mighty Mouse

• STICKER BOFFIN
  • TERRORIST
  • There's no replacement for Displacement!
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Silverwing FSC600
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
Slang, Honda parts are not cheap! (As I discovered) and anything out of the ordinary has to be brought in from India. I order in advance and prepare to wait 3 - 4 weeks!! :frustrated: However that does sound like a lot to pay for a pump!
Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.

Online SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
  • Scooter/Bike: Anything with two wheels and an engine
  • Town: Velddrif. West Coast
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Slang, Honda parts are not cheap! (As I discovered) and anything out of the ordinary has to be brought in from India. I order in advance and prepare to wait 3 - 4 weeks!! :frustrated: However that does sound like a lot to pay for a pump!

pumps that expensive usually happens in places i avoid....  :rofl:

I will try and find out from a bud at Honda Tygerberg....cant be THAT expensive!!!
www.sascooters.co.za 

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. The rest was made in China.
Loncin 150 Racer, Yamaha 250XT, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide...a Rubberduck, a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Offline Diesel

• TERRORIST
  • It's all in the splash...
    • Your Own Branded Social Network
  • Scooter/Bike: Burgman 400 "Skuterki"; DL 650 V-Strom "Strompie"
  • Town: Roodepoort
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
Maybe have a look on e-Bay you might just find it there, but you need to factor the postage in which could be more than the item itself.

That price does not shock me at all... I recently had a little problem with the Strom in that it tended to stall after some vigorous riding when the fuel was low. Long story short I eventually removed the tank, rinsed the crap from a rural towns dirty fuel tanks out and decided to replace the High Pressure filter on the fuel pump and also the strainer. The strainer was R460.00 and the HP filter, which is not much larger than a matchbox was priced R3000.00! WTF! :injured:
I opted out of the HP filter and did an external fuel filter mod that is popular in the States (because of said filters zany price) which cost me all of R135.00 plus the R460.00 for the strainer of course.
Best thing is, the bike goes like the clappers again :yes:

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • twist & go
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:43:38 AM »
The price to replace the fuel pump is right, if you are buying it from Honda, and there is nowhere else you will get it, except off E-Bay.

The part is an integral pump & level sensor, that sits in the fuel tank. They are pricey, no matter which brand you ride.

The Airblade has a kakhuis of body covers to remove to get to the fuel tank, so bargain on about 3 hours of Honda labour rates.

Get her back on the road, NOW! Buy KYMCO or SYM - you wont be sorry. These are Taiwanese companies, NOT Chinese!

Replace the fuel pump on the Airblade and sell it.
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma

Offline bladewalker

• Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Airblade 110
  • Town: Pretoria
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 03:59:48 PM »
Right!

Thank you all for the input. This morning was the first time we were able to go check out some bike shops etc. So my plan up to this morning was, as follows..........

Honda Centurion came to the party and agreed to give us 2k for the Airblade as is. We would then obviously buy a new Honda Elite from them. However, after seeing the Elite this morning, I'm NOT impressed. The Airblade is a much nicer bike in styling and spec. The Elite doesn't come with a side stand, which doth SUCK! So the level of keen-ness  was not all that high.

So before we went to Honda, we went to Kawasaki Centurion to check out the SYM's. Because thanks to Mighty Mouse, she's gone and planted the "bigger bike" seed, and I was curious to see if my Goose could handle it. Unfortunately, they didn't have a 300 EVO there, but the sales guy hinted that Holeshot in Boksburg had an old 300 they use for demo-ing.

We then headed off to the Suzuki Toy Shop in Hennops Park, and they had a brand new shiny one in the showroom. The Goose was a little apprehensive at first, but when she got on, was suprised that the seat was as low as it was. Both tippi toes can touch the ground. She can get it up onto the center stand if necessary, and maneuver it backwards. Although the backwards thing is going to take a little practice. Unfortunately though, they didn't have a rideable demo.

I really wanted to know how she would do riding it, because it really makes sense. It opens more doors with ref to where she can go, and she won't get pushed around by the cars as much. So we decided to drive down to Holeshot in Boksburg, where they have a relatively old beat up machine with 20k on it. The owner was only too pleased to show off his runaround to the goose. She then had a go of her own. Obviously quite nervous on a much bigger bike, but couldn't stop praising the handling and how steady it felt as a platform. We are pretty sold on the idea, but ran into a roadblock of note. We need to finance it, and I don't have a bike license, and the Goose is between learners licences and only writes again mid may. So we were depressed.

But thinking about it afterwards, we still think its a better buy in the long run. So the plan as of now, is to fix the Airblade, and I'm just going to have to suck it up playing taxi until mid May, with the help of Uber. As soon as she gets the learners back, we gonna get that EVO! (Thanks MM) :p

Thanks for your input. Thanks to stanthescooterman for researching the pump, and thanks mighty mouse for putting me into debt again  :rofl:

Will keep this updated as to how things turn out.

Oh and PS, if anyone thinks i'm being an idiot...... please tell me so.

Regards

BW

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • twist & go
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:29:06 PM »
If you can, also check out the Kymco Downtown 300i http://www.kymcosa.com/s2.php
Find your nearest dealer here http://www.kymcosa.com/dealers.php
It costs more than the EVO, but you'll understand when you ride one, if you can find a demo.
If you're applying for finance, it may be worth considering. :popcorn:
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma