Author Topic: Best of the lower end  (Read 170 times)

Ross Murray

Best of the lower end
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
Without opening a can of worms...

If one had 8-10k to spend on an entry level scoot, which seems to point towards the Chinese models (would love to have the SYM Fiddle...but not at this point in time)

The brands seem to be Jonway, Big Boy, Motomia, Gomoto, Puzey.

There seems to be an abundance of these around apart from Puzey which I assume is due to them being newer in the market. But does it indicate people are happier with them and willing to hold onto them?

The burning question is which of these is likely to last me a few years of short distance commuting without falling apart?

Offline Mighty Mouse

• STICKER BOFFIN
  • TERRORIST
  • There's no replacement for Displacement!
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Silverwing FSC600
Re: Best of the lower end
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »
Keeping in mind any answers you will get are merely personal opinion - I would hold out for a second hand Japanese or Taiwanese.
Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.

Offline blujeenz

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • SPAM hunter
  • Scooter/Bike: Vuka XL110/Royal Enfield Bullet
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Without opening a can of worms...

If one had 8-10k to spend on an entry level scoot, which seems to point towards the Chinese models (would love to have the SYM Fiddle...but not at this point in time)

The brands seem to be Jonway, Big Boy, Motomia, Gomoto, Puzey.

There seems to be an abundance of these around apart from Puzey which I assume is due to them being newer in the market. But does it indicate people are happier with them and willing to hold onto them?

The burning question is which of these is likely to last me a few years of short distance commuting without falling apart?
They are all pretty much birds of the same feather.
I'd probably go with Puzey but it also depends on after sales support, ie service and spares.

Ross Murray

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
Happy with personal opinions - the more the better actually, will help to make an informed decision.

I am in CPT, lots of after sales/service options around.

The Taiwanese/Japanese units tend to hold their value much more than the Chinese counterparts, hence the availability of more budget friendly options seems like finding a needle in a haystack.

Offline xsel777

• TERRORIST
  • Scooting Everywhere!
    • XL PCWIZZ Consultants
  • Scooter/Bike: 2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri (Not ABS) - Dark Blue
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
I think if it has to be Chinese, then Bigboy as they are still in business and have spares, and repair facilities.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri (Not ABS) - Dark Blue

Offline hloni

• SR MEMBER
  • Censored poster
  • Scooter/Bike: Java 170 Sport
  • Town: Randburg
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
I'd honestly neglect the badge and go for looks and comfort. The Chinese mainly have interchangeable mechanical spares, thus the only major issue would be body parts for certain MotoMias for example. I've been riding my Java for 4 years now, the bike is 6 years old (2012 reg), and the only body part needing modification is the headlight cluster (plastic which overtime has cracked and no cable tie or putty will hold together).

I'd suggest you look at a 170cc with that budget in mind.
Even components of the Germans are Made In China.

Offline Vincent

• SCOOTER BUM
  • Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
I'd honestly neglect the badge and go for looks and comfort. The Chinese mainly have interchangeable mechanical spares, thus the only major issue would be body parts for certain MotoMias for example. I've been riding my Java for 4 years now, the bike is 6 years old (2012 reg), and the only body part needing modification is the headlight cluster (plastic which overtime has cracked and no cable tie or putty will hold together).

I'd suggest you look at a 170cc with that budget in mind.
Have you tried Q-Bond or something similar? Taking it for plastic welding, or even attempting to do it yourself?
  • Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc

Offline Mat1998

• SCOOTER FREAK
  • They see me rolling on two wheels
  • Scooter/Bike: Big boy rct 170, big boy revival 150
  • Town: Centurion
  • Whatsapp: 0788630709
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
I have the big boy rct 170 and apart from a broken diaphragm in the carburettor I've had 5000 trouble free Kms and 2 years of service and it shows no sign of slowing down. Excellent scooter!

Offline Trek8

• SR MEMBER
  • Scooter/Bike: Gilera Fuoco BMW K1200LT
  • Town: Sandton
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
Keeping in mind any answers you will get are merely personal opinion - I would hold out for a second hand Japanese or Taiwanese.
\
MM not just a pretty face - listen to the lady's wise words.
Life  should NOT be a journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving safely in an attractive  and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in  sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
[url=http