Author Topic: Battery issues on scooter  (Read 149 times)

GarryS

Battery issues on scooter
« on: November 25, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
I have a Big Boy Swift 125 cc scooter.  Bought a new battery in April 2016.  Work from home and use it maybe three times a week.  Battery has enough juice for lights etcetera, but not enough juice to electrically start, so have to kick start.
I can take it for a drive, plus minus 14ks, and then can electrically start, but within 2hrs thereafter back to the same story of not being able to electrically start. 

Frustrated.  Can anyone please help.

Offline SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
  • Scooter/Bike: Anything with two wheels and an engine
  • Town: Velddrif. West Coast
Re: Battery issues on scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43:35 PM »
I have a Big Boy Swift 125 cc scooter.  Bought a new battery in April 2016.  Work from home and use it maybe three times a week.  Battery has enough juice for lights etcetera, but not enough juice to electrically start, so have to kick start.
I can take it for a drive, plus minus 14ks, and then can electrically start, but within 2hrs thereafter back to the same story of not being able to electrically start. 

Frustrated.  Can anyone please help.

Please do a search on the forum about this issue.
Scooters in general generates barely just enough electricity to light one bulb at a time. I've seen some scoots over the years that has so badly manufactured stator coils, that you cant even use the lights.
Fit lower WATT bulbs. Headlights, (dim and bright) rear (stop and tail) and even lower WATT indicator bulbs. That might save you a few Watts that could be used to keep the battery charged.
Starting and driving short distances also dont give the battery enough charging time to recover fully.

www.sascooters.co.za 

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. The rest was made in China.
Loncin 150 Racer, Yamaha 250XT, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide...a Rubberduck, a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Offline Mat1998

• SCOOTER ADDICT
  • They see me rolling on two wheels
  • Scooter/Bike: Big boy rct 170, big boy revival 150
  • Town: Centurion
  • Whatsapp: 0788630709
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »
This sounds like an issue with your stator or starter motor. I had exactly the same issue and the dealership replaced the starter motor and it fixed the issue.

Offline Vincent

• SCOOTER ADDICT
  • Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:00:36 AM »
It might be something as simple as the nuts screws attached to the terminals on the battery are loose... As embarrassing as it is, that's what happened to me, after I went off at the guy where I bought the battery three months previously...
  • Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc