Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
HELP / Re: Yamaha Nitro died
« Last post by Stanthescooterman on Today at 11:02:39 AM »
You may even find that the thread on the fitting of the compression tester screws directly into the plug hole without the need for an adapter.

If you don't have a plug socket, then get one that fits a BP7HS plug, while you're there.

Once the tester is screwed in and you're ready to test, swing the engine over for about 3 seconds at WOT.

Hit the pressure release on the tester and repeat x 2 to get an average of 3 readings.

That will tell you whether you have a compression problem, i.e. cylinder / piston / rings, and if not, then you can inspect the reeds!

When you unscrew the spark plug for the first time, observe what colour the electrode tip and insulator porcelain look like and google "2-stroke spark plug readings" to get an idea of what it's telling you!

"Reading" your spark plug, is often the first port of call in any fault diagnosis, because that will tell you whether the engine is running rich or lean, too much or insufficient oil, etc, and will lead you to where you need to be investigating further, and depending on whether you're running a 2-stroke engine or a 4, narrowing down the process of elimination, discussed earlier.

Also, do some YouTube searches around this sort of thing, because there is a vast amount of useful info out there.
« Last post by Vincent on Today at 10:09:25 AM »

WE can discuss theories, but it's the action that provides the truth  :thankyou:

Stanthescooterman, man of action!  :yes:

Well, hope you never have to experience it first hand!

Will let you know once it's done!, and hopefully once everything is sorted out!

Will see if I can't get something from Midas this afternoon after work!

« Last post by Stanthescooterman on Today at 09:22:55 AM »
Until I experience your symptoms first-hand, it's difficult to be of much use to you  :laugh:

... but in reply, yes, but as I said previously, until the engine is opened up and a process of elimination is applied, nobody will know for sure.

So, pop the manifold off and look at the reeds - its easier than taking the cylinder off, but do a cylinder compression test - as previously mentioned - so that you can get an idea of whether there is sufficient compression!

You can buy a cheap compression tester at most auto shops.

WE can discuss theories, but it's the action that provides the truth  :thankyou:
HELP / Yamaha Nitro died
« Last post by Vincent on Today at 08:42:04 AM »
Hey Stan, any chance of Reed Valves doing what I described?

Quote from: Vincent on Yesterday at 01:02:59 PM
Got it started with a struggle, and made it home (probably wasn't the best idea...), but it wouldn't idle... Now, if I crank it for quite a while (at least more than a minute!), open the throttle, and adjust the choke JUST right, I can get it started, but still won't idle, and makes a lot of smoke (maybe from having the throttle opened full...?)
Any ideas? Should I be fearing a engine seizure? And where to get parts for a rebuild, and any idea what it would cost?
I'm in Brackenfell....

Start with removing & inspecting your spark plug, to see whether that's fouled. While you've got that out, do a cylinder compression test, followed by checking how strong the spark is. You need a minimum of 6 bars to start the engine. 10 is healthy.

I'd actually suggest that you give Moto Junction a ring on 021 982 2333 or Jannie 2-stroke 083 524 3282, because they are closer to you.

(I'm surprised to hear that you have a manual choke on the Nitro, by the way).

Worst case is a seize, followed by rings carboned up in their grooves. Sounds lie it wasm't a catastrophic seize, considering that you can (barely) still start it.

Until you pull the head and barrel off, you (& everybody else) is just going to be guessing.

If you don't have the tools & skills, then take it to a proper workshop.

Contact Eugene@Helderbergyamaha.co.za for prices of parts, once you know what's on the shopping list."

FOR SALE/WANTED / Re: Nitro or BWS pipe wanted
« Last post by Stanthescooterman on Yesterday at 07:52:56 PM »
Got it started with a struggle, and made it home (probably wasn't the best idea...), but it wouldn't idle... Now, if I crank it for quite a while (at least more than a minute!), open the throttle, and adjust the choke JUST right, I can get it started, but still won't idle, and makes a lot of smoke (maybe from having the throttle opened full...?)
Any ideas? Should I be fearing a engine seizure? And where to get parts for a rebuild, and any idea what it would cost?
I'm in Brackenfell....

Start with removing & inspecting your spark plug, to see whether that's fouled. While you've got that out, do a cylinder compression test, followed by checking how strong the spark is. You need a minimum of 6 bars to start the engine. 10 is healthy.

I'd actually suggest that you give Moto Junction a ring on 021 982 2333 or Jannie 2-stroke 083 524 3282, because they are closer to you.

(I'm surprised to hear that you have a manual choke on the Nitro, by the way).

Worst case is a seize, followed by rings carboned up in their grooves. Sounds lie it wasm't a catastrophic seize, considering that you can (barely) still start it.

Until you pull the head and barrel off, you (& everybody else) is just going to be guessing.

If you don't have the tools & skills, then take it to a proper workshop.

Contact Eugene@Helderbergyamaha.co.za for prices of parts, once you know what's on the shopping list.

Keep us posted  :yes:
FOR SALE/WANTED / Re: pgo pmx front left foot plate.
« Last post by Stanthescooterman on Yesterday at 07:37:31 PM »
oh nooooo  :injured: :pray:
« Last post by spinner_10810 on Yesterday at 01:38:31 PM »
Had a decent wheelie going , 500 meters or so , some guy was like yeeeeeah maan and waved at me , so I tried to wave back as quick as possible and I done gone loop out, I was practicing one hand wheelies the other day, but this one failed epic  :rofl:
« Last post by Vincent on Yesterday at 01:02:59 PM »
My Nitro went and died on me last night! Now I can't get it started... Expecting the worst, but hoping it's just something minor!
« Last post by ryanvs on Yesterday at 10:46:44 AM »
Managed to find a rough Bosson. No rivets holding the cannister on - previous owner had epoxied the cannister on. Was a bloody mission to remove.

Drilled to accept rivets now, and polished to a mirror finish.

The expansion sections is rather dented and scratched up. Will use tiny little files to tidy up the scratches, dents will get a little filing an sanding to sort.

Need to strip and prep for paint next, will tidy up the welds too. Welds are really poor, not like my Pincus pipe on the BWS.
« Last post by Stanthescooterman on Yesterday at 06:26:58 AM »
Cheese & Rice! What were you trying to do?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10