Author Topic: Silverwing FSC600i Review  (Read 479 times)

Offline Mighty Mouse

• STICKER BOFFIN
  • HOOLIGAN
  • There's no replacement for Displacement!
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Silverwing FSC600
Silverwing FSC600i Review
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »
Honda Silverwing FJS 600i - 2013 Model - my current love-affair!

Grab the coffee and settle in for some light reading!

Engine and transmission
Displacement:   582.00cc
Engine type:   Twin, four-stroke
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control:   Double Overhead Cams/Twin Cam (DOHC)
Ignition:   Computer-controlled fully transistorized with electronic advance
Cooling system:   Liquid
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front tyre:   120/80-14
Rear tyre:   150/70-13
Front brakes:   Single disc
Rear brakes:   Single disc
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight:   244.9 kg
Seat height:   754 mm If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase:   1,595 mm
Fuel capacity:   15.89 litres

My model is originally listed as 2008, but sold as a 2013 by Cayenne Honda. I have had this bike for 4 years of happy (s)miles and thought it time to write a review before the speedometer hits 100 000K.

My first impression - coming from a relatively nimble 300cc - was of the size and weight of the thing. It has a fairly long wheelbase and while not as big or heavy as the Suzuki Burgman, still weighs as much as most superbikes. However, once going she feels as nimble as my 300cc with double the power! It is unfortunate that Honda has completely discontinued this model as the common feeling amongst all Silverwing owners is that we would only replace our old Silverwing with another one! The Honda Integra while having the nice 750cc engine has completely lost the massive storage and bullet-proofness of the old Swing!

By bullet-proof, I mean the ability to survive extreme distance and high mileage. Trips of 10 000 kilometers fully laden, 2 up are common and total mileage of 200 000km’s are not unknown on this bike. See the forum at www.silverwing600.com for documented proof! For those of you who like to modify, there are exciting examples using kits and mods on the site too. (The bike was sold world-wide for 15 years).

I am a Think-Bike marshal and work my bike hard, often trailing an exhausted MT Biker for 100km at an average speed of 10km/h in temperatures of 30 degrees in Summer. (Yes that long in that heat!) Followed by a sprint at 150KM/H to catch up with the next tired cyclist. The Swing has never let me down; with only the 250cc Twister being able to match this ability without harm to the bike.

I have modified a fair bit for marshaling - added cruise control, an adjustable Givi windscreen, strobes/spots both front and back, Puig heated grips, Dr Pulley sliders, semi-synthetic oil, a tyre pressure monitoring kit and of course stickers to make the bike go faster! Most of this helps to make the ride more functional for day-long travel. My helmet is a Spirit flip-up with a Sena bluetooth headset.

Back to the basic Swing....the console or dashboard at first seemed lumpy and huge, but I soon got used to it. There are deep cubbyholes on both sides of the instrument panel which I use for my waterproofs, petrol slips and a larger side-stand footplate for parking in muddy places! The lefthand cubby has a power socket for chargers, GPS and other toys. The speedometer seems to over-read by very little and happily runs up to 180km/h before the redline is reached on the rev counter. I have never had to take it past that. The happy place seems to be at around 130km/h or 5000 rpm. Going past that makes the bike rather thirsty!

The suspension is still that of a 15 year old design, so she gets a little squirrelly in the twisties at high speed - once you are used to it you can really lean this bike at some serious angles! Additionally, the very low centre of gravity makes the bike really stable in even the worst winds. Learning the limitations of this bike is character building! Stopping with the front wheel straight is preferable, as the wheelbase is long and she tends to want to drop at low speeds. By the way, should you drop her at low speeds there is very little damage at all - just the odd scratch to the plastics front and back.

The luggage compartment is the largest of any scooter I know. Add a 40L top box and you are ready for any occasion. The top box is mounted directly onto the metal frame which means it is more secure than most. While we are talking of unique items on this scoot, the engine is mounted directly onto the chassis and not on the swing arm as is usual. This means no chance of your battered zorst flying off in the bumps. Screws also seem to stay in place without the use of Lock Tite.

The plastics on the Swing are well made and fitting as you would expect from a Japanese bike. Unfortunately, when modding extensively, you soon discover that all the little plastic catches break one by one and have to be glued back into place. A replacement fairing for this bike is around the price of a small scoot, so only for Lotto winners!

Replacing the headlamp bulbs are not easy, but if you know how, not too difficult either. The Swing has 2 bright LED bulbs - one for low and both lights for high and passing - which are always on. Adding 2 spots just made me more visible and I can honestly say that with the exception of totally blind cagers - I have always been OK in heavy traffic! The fuel tank is wrapped around the frame in the wheel well, which allows for a nice healthy 15 litre tank. Although the system is efi, the technology is aging and I get an average 3.8 litres per 100km’s. Keeping in mind that I very seldom travel below the speed limit, I’m very happy with this. A little lighter throttle hand, would improve the figures!

The exhaust has served a full 100 000kms without any trouble and is fairly quiet. I’m waiting for it to retire so that I can splurge on that super de-catted carbon slip-on from the UK, which hopefully will make me a little more visible in traffic as well. Currently I have only had the cat partly removed, as it throttles the bike’s performance. Those of you wondering about performance will not be disappointed. My scoot goes 1-100 in 5 secs which easily puts me ahead of most BMW’s although I cannot outrun any supercar or larger bike. Not too shabby for a scoot.

ABS is standard on my model and really does work - sometimes a little too well! The left hand brake lever is a linked brake for both front and back. Right lever is front only. It also has a built in immobilizer with a smart key, so you would be advised to not lose the original! The transmission is equipped with Honda’s V-matic design which adjusts for any belt slippage to give the smoothest acceleration possible; all tucked away under a sexy cover. Should you be interested, I get around 15K from my back tyre (Mitchelin) and 25K on the front (Pirelli).

The bike comes with a chunky, well written handbook (none of that Chinglish crap) and a nice little toolkit which fits neatly under the seat. Items which I have had to replace since I bought the bike: 2 x headlamp bulbs, battery, rollers & belt (every 30K). The only problem I have had with the bike otherwise, is a faulty kill switch.

PROS: Enormous amounts of torque which aid towing of trailers
   Highway traveling with ease and comfort
   Infinitely customisable with a bullet-proof engine
   Parts still readlily available although not cheap (Honda)
   How to manuals and videos available online, for doing all your own servicing
   If you can still find one, they are a fraction of the price of a new 600cc

CONS: Wheels are smaller than more modern scoots of the same size
   Not as fuel efficient as newer 600/700cc scoots
   Major parts are fairly expensive (i.e. a new belt costs around 1.5K)
   She really hates dirt!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions - I have come to know this particular scoot very well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:59:35 AM by Mighty Mouse »
Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.

Offline Trek8

• SR MEMBER
  • Scooter/Bike: Gilera Fuoco BMW K1200LT
  • Town: Sandton
Re: Silverwing FSC600i Review
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
Nice review wish you many more happy miles.
Life  should NOT be a journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving safely in an attractive  and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in  sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
[url=http

Offline Mighty Mouse

• STICKER BOFFIN
  • HOOLIGAN
  • There's no replacement for Displacement!
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda Silverwing FSC600
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
Thanks Trek8   :thankyou:
By doing 30K per year on my work run, I'll soon be writing the review on a 200 000km Honda Swing....providing something newer does not catch my eye first!
MM
Home is where your bike sits still long enough to leave a few drops of oil on the ground.

Offline NeilV

• FORUM MODERATOR II
  • APE HANGER
    • My Flickr Page (Aspiring photographer)
  • Scooter/Bike: Triumph Tiger 800, used to own a PGO G-Max 220.
  • Town: Paarl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »
Awesome review, wishing you many more safe and happy miles.  :yes: