Author Topic: BWS 100 upgrades  (Read 5654 times)

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: yamaha bws 100cc
  • Town: brisbane
BWS 100 upgrades
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »
Hello all, this is my first post here and the pipe below is my first mod (at the urging of a petrolhead workmate).

I apologise if this question(s) has been posed before - if so I'm sure I'll get to that post eventually, but I'm anxious to complete the exhaust and any other jobs required, at the same time - this means I'll need to order any other parts ASAP.

Question(s):  the exhaust below can apparently be fitted to a standard engine without any mods - does anyone have any experience with this pipe on their bike? 

Secondary but associated question:  what should I do next as far as upgrading goes - to boost speed off the mark (or in general)?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/391104966821?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mCU-QJZ9fzYQ0JBFa8x7veA.jpg

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:36:01 PM by SA SCOOTERS »

Offline Tarmac Terrorist

• SR MEMBER
  • Lekker in die Transvaal !!!!
  • BBM: Eish
  • Scooter/Bike: Hayabusa,SV1000S & E-Storm. EX: Vuka110 & BWS100
  • Town: Wild West Rand
Re: BWS 100 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
Search the below treads
R2D2, Skaap, Spy, they are/were the Bws tuners.

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:55 AM »
Cheers Tarmac   I was hoping for a simple list of items to look for, after poking around in the threads here I think choosing parts is going to be anything but simple though.  I'll keep reading and await the arrival of the pipe, then try the scoot out with out any other mods for comparison with the stock exhaust, and go from there.  In the mean time I'm cutting and pasting like mad the list of parts suggestions you've all posted over time.

Thanks for the response.

Offline Zapcat

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • Hi, I was new once!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:33:30 AM »
I do know you must do rollers if you do pipe as well as carb jetting.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk

I love traffic!!!!

Offline blujeenz

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • SPAM hunter
  • Scooter/Bike: Vuka XL110/Royal Enfield Bullet
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »
I do know you must do rollers if you do pipe as well as carb jetting.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk

Carb jetting is a must, only a standard xhaust with standard velocicty flow will use standard jets.

Any "performance xhaust" will flow more air otherwise its not a performance xhaust, ergo standard jets will cause a lean fueling condition.

For peace of mind Id do full throttle plug chops under load (not on the center stand)and check the color of the spark plug. (hard to do on a scoot with no neutral gear).

Using a Gunson colortune at idle wont give you the full picture if you need larger jets at full throttle. Its also not designed to be used under load and for normal driving.

Its a quick check device only or you risk melting the clear polycarb plug window.

http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?code=G4074

Naturally a dyno shop will be able sort the jetting but its the most expensive option down our side of the world.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:15:44 PM by blujeenz »

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
Thanks blue.  I'll give a guy at the scooter shop a call about jet sizing.  He stocks the same pipe as I bought, hopefully he's still willing to offer advice and parts after I ended up buying my pipe from Germany for about 130 bucks cheaper ($160 cheaper if you include the postage from the coast to my house in Brissy - approximately 100km).

Does riding the scoot up a hill at full throttle count as "full throttle plug chops under load"?

From reading through these forums it sounds as though white deposits on the plug indicate a lean mixture, black indicates too rich and brown is OK?

There's a LOT of info. on here, but I think I've narrowed down my next 2 purchaces to jets and a variator.  No idea what kind of either I should get - but I'm still reading through the BWS posts here, and hopefully the scooter shop guy can assist.  There don't seem to be any options for buying parts or modding scooters in Brisbane at all.

Cheers again.

Offline blujeenz

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • SPAM hunter
  • Scooter/Bike: Vuka XL110/Royal Enfield Bullet
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Does riding the scoot up a hill at full throttle count as "full throttle plug chops under load"?

white deposits on the plug indicate a lean mixture, black indicates too rich and brown is OK?

Cheers again.

yes and yes

Im my opinion the main mod triplets would be the xhaust , air filter and jetting.

The rest like rollers springs etc are taking advantage of increased performance.
On a chain driven bike one would change the front sprocket size for better highway speeds, to take advantage of increased power.
The equivalent would be all the variator mods on a scoot.

Remember to clean the plug first of all the old deposits so that you can see the new changes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:24:47 PM by blujeenz »

Offline Spy

• TECHNICAL GURU who's also a poet and he doesn't even know it
  • TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
    • Accessories 4 Motorcycles / aka Urban Rider
  • BBM: 2AECFA4D
  • Scooter/Bike: TB100-YW100-YQ100-Runner180-Dragster180
  • Town: Cape Town... by the Big Flat Mountain!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »
Sorry for late reply! Welcome to the forum!

After working with these 100cc engines for the past 19yrs (yes that's how old they are!) there are a few simple ways to get the best out of this engine, without going overboard!
I think the bottom line for Most people is that they want more power and speed but want reliability and affordability!?

So here is my advice for building a fast and reliable DIY 'street' BWS... not a race scooter!

1. Replace your drive
Replacing the front variator pulley and rear torsion pulley will give you one of the best power and speed increases.
The drive is where scooters loose most of their power! So fit a Malossi or Polini system and you sorted on this!
Don't stress about the clutch, the stock system works just fine.

2. Fit a performance exhaust.
Depending on the make of pipe you fitting, this is the most HP gain you'll get for your $.
One thing to remember is that the Leo Vince and Technigas pipes, even though advertised as 100cc pipes, are actually for the 70cc bigbore pipes fitted to the 50cc.
The best pipe we've tested is the CRP from South Africa with a 2.5hp gain on a stock motor.
The standard B7HS spark plug must be changed to a B8HS when running a pipe, or B9HS if you got other engine mods.

3. Replace your Reed Valve
Best reed valve on the market is the Stage6 V-force3 with a 0.5hp gain.
Other valves available are the Stage6 Viton, Malossi VL and Polini, all with considerable gains of 0.3-0.4hp

4. Carb & Airbox
Listen to me carefully here... If you running the standard Carb, then Do Not change the settings and Do Not tamper or modify the airbox or filter on this motor!!
FFS leave this alone! If you fiddle here the scooter Will have issues!! Only thing you can change is your idle screw setting if needed!
You have been Warned!

Stick to this setup and your scooter will kick-ass, last a long time and keep a huge grin on your face!
Twitter & Instagram @A4MBiker / LIKE on Facebook!

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »
Thanks Spy.  I've read a bunch of your posts with regard to modding.  I have now fitted the technigas pipe (bought prior to reading your most recent post about them being designed for 70cc).

I'll look at it again tomorrow (ran out of light) but a couple of quick runs today to check how it changes things has left me really disappointed.  The scooter now has a maximum speed of 60km/h, acceleration from standing is very slow too.  On a 10 degree down slope or the flat, the top speed of 60 k remains.  The pipe sounds fine (doesn't sound like there's any leaks), scoot starts and idles normally and bolts and joints seems to be tight against gaskets.  The scoot sounds great when revved on the centre stand, but under load it's a complete slug.

I've tried leaving the ribbed pipe entering the air filter off - no difference.

Tomorrow I'll re-check the bolts and gaskets to make sure I have everything tight enough.  If that fails, I'm going to have to put the stock exhaust back on and look for remedies - I can't safely ride it to or from work as it is.

If you guys have any suggestions I'll happily try them, but I assume it's now going to be a matter of ordering more parts and riding with the old exhaust until they arrive (and so it begins!).

One thing I did notice was that the stock exhaust doesn't seem to have any sort of restricting 'washer' at it's entrance (I thought they came standard and I haven't removed it - bought the bike brand new too), whereas the new exhaust seems to have a concave 'washer' welded into it's entrance.  The pipe isn't reduced by much, but I wondered if that might be an issue?

I appreciate that you're all assisting out of kindness, so thanks yet again.  I'll owe you all a beer should you ever make it down under to watch the Springboks beat the Wallabies.

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
So.  Everything is as tight as I can get it.  The scoot starts and idles fine, revving on centre stand sounds fine and will rev nice and hard (to the point that vibrations move the arse end sideways with me sitting on it).  But, riding under load is still no better than 60km/h. 

New bpr7hs plug indicates running lean (see attached image - new plug on top right with white deposits).  I've ordered a bpr8hs plug for when the new pipe goes back on.  I'll to speak to the scooter shop guy about jets, can I ask advice from you guys on specific jet sizes given that I'm running lean at the moment?  I have a word document with all the info about modding I've found on this site, but it's inaccessible right now.

Another question; the service manual shows the needle that some refer to - is this something that needs to be adjusted when I do the jets?  As I said, I'll look through the doc I've complied with all the advice I've found on here related to my scoot, but something specific to refer to from you guys, to make sure I'm on the right track would be great - if you have the time or inclination.

Cheers!

Offline Spy

• TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »
One thing I did notice was that the stock exhaust doesn't seem to have any sort of restricting 'washer' at it's entrance (I thought they came standard and I haven't removed it - bought the bike brand new too), whereas the new exhaust seems to have a concave 'washer' welded into it's entrance.  The pipe isn't reduced by much, but I wondered if that might be an issue?

This washer needs to come out! grind the welds down a bit and break it out. Then just clean up the left over welds.
This should make a big difference.
Have you changed the rollers on the front variator yet? They should be lighter than stock to get your gearing right for pull off.

Offline Spy

• TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:20:06 AM »
New bpr7hs plug indicates running lean (see attached image - new plug on top right with white deposits).  I've ordered a bpr8hs plug for when the new pipe goes back on.

I'll to speak to the scooter shop guy about jets, can I ask advice from you guys on specific jet sizes given that I'm running lean at the moment?  I have a word document with all the info about modding I've found on this site, but it's inaccessible right now.

Another question; the service manual shows the needle that some refer to - is this something that needs to be adjusted when I do the jets?

The hotter 7 plug will have an effect on the colour too. I don't suggest running the Technigas until you have the 8 plug.

The standard jet should be a #72.5
Like I said earlier, you shouldn't have to do any setting on the carb, if it, and the airbox is left stock standard.
But if you want to play safe, you can fit a #78 or #80 main jet and test further.
I think I still have jets if you need. Will check what sizes I have.

Leave the throttle slide needle setting in the middle.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:21:30 AM by Spy »

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 07:31:05 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! 

I'll do this as soon as I'm off work again - should be picking up plug tomorrow.  Pipe might be able to travel to work with me tomorrow as well - not sure what kind of day we have planned - otherwise I'll likely do it Monday.  Edit - plugs are arriving Monday now too. 

I'll look at doing the rollers once the pipe and plug are fitted - ideally I'd like to tear off from a standing start to 60km/h and then cruise up to 80-100km/h (I don't do any highway riding - max speed limit on my work route is 80km/h and that's only an occasional detour).

I've attached an example of what the 'restricting washer' looks like - it's not mine, but looks exactly the same.  Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about there anyway, but in case anyone else happens to be looking on here with similar questions (picture worth a thousand words).

Thanks yet again!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:36:05 AM by mooscoot »

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »
Here's another one for you.  I've read at least a couple of posts about upgrading the rear shock - because the stock one isn't great, because the stock shock is kinda plain looking, but also because after upgrading the exhaust some extra clearance is useful to avoid scraping on a right turn.

I love the look of some aftermarket shocks I've seen (that little canister thing hanging off the back in particular - excuse the technical jargon )and remember seeing a post on here with one that looked great.  I'm still looking, but haven't been able to find it again.

Any suggestions for something a bit longer than the standard bws rear shock (with a little canister thing attached)?

Of course, all this is based on the assumption that i can get the scoot working with the new exhaust!  :chance:

Any beer drinkers in SA?  Do you guys have James Squire 9 Tales?  It's a delish drop!

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 06:10:31 AM »
Hello again,  hope it's ok that I'm replying to my own replies here. 

Attached is an image of the pipe that was in the pipe - turns out the 'restricting washer' was somewhat longer than I thought.  The scoot is running better - top speed is improved (can only test to about 70km/h around my house) but it still seems sluggish to take off.  I've only done a couple of quick laps around the block with the standard plug in - I'll retry tomorrow once I have the new cooler plug and see if performance improves further.

Thanks for the offer of the jets - I'll see how I go after the new plug goes in and I'll see if I can source some lighter rollers too.

On another topic; if anyone is looking for a business opportunity, I'd suggest a scooter supplies store in Brisbane.  They're taking off as a mode of transport but the nearest parts shop specifically for scoots is down the Gold Coast (an hour or so from here).

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:19 AM »
Excuse the state of the plastics - she's in need of a clean following the pipe installation - poking around in the air filter was a bit messy.  He's the pipe for those interested.  I definitely sounds nicer than the stock exhaust   :yes:.

Cheers and happy fathers day to the dads here.

Offline Spy

• TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »
I'll look at doing the rollers once the pipe and plug are fitted - ideally I'd like to tear off from a standing start to 60km/h and then cruise up to 80-100km/h

I love the look of some aftermarket shocks I've seen with that little canister thing hanging off the back in particular.

Any beer drinkers in SA?  Do you guys have James Squire 9 Tales?  It's a delish drop!

You Have to change the rollersto lighter ones, when fitting a pipe.
Because the pipe is tuned for power in the mid to higher RPM range, the heavier standard rollers keep the RPM too low on pull off and through the 'gears'.
The lighter rollers will make the engine rev up higher, into the power band of the pipe, on pull off and riding.

I'm personally not a beer drinker, accept for the odd Millers on a hot day out!
We don't have that brand over here, but if I do have a beer, it's going to be something from Namibia, not one of our local brews!!

A4M bring in a few rear shocks for the BWS, from cheap replacement, to high end one's.
Unfortunately due to new export legislation and red tape BS, we can't export out the country! But I think I can send stuff on a personal basis, like a gift etc?! But I can advise you further on this if you interested? Just email me.
You should have enough ground clearance with the stock shock, best is to remove your centre stand if it's still fitted.

FYI Here are some of the shocks and prices...

Motoforce ST1 Pre-load only R645 (Au$70)

Motoforce R6 Pre-Load only R1,500 (Au$160)

Stage6 R/T Pre-Load & Damping adjustments R2,995 (Au$320)

Stage6 R/T Hi&Lo speed, fully adjustable R6,950 (Au$720)

There are other makes but they are really expensive, in the Au$1100 mark!!

Offline Spy

• TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
Do you guys get the Aluminium cast wheels in Aus?!?
I've been wondering what countries had the cast wheels!

Are they still selling the BWS100 there too? They've finally stopped bringing them into SA this year, due to some stupid new carbon laws!?!  :giveup: So the new 4T 125cc is here, but more expensive. What's the price on a new BWS100 now, over there?

Offline mooscoot

• Hi, I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:37 AM »
Not sure about the cast wheels - they do have that appearance though.  Is that wheel type unusual?

Can't find any new 2 stroke 100cc beewees for sale, they do have the 125 four stroke for around $3500 - from memory that's about what I paid for mine.  I quite like the look of the new model, but mine only has about 5000 on the clock so it'll be awhile before I'll need to upgrade.  Having said that, I could just keep replacing parts and run her forever :yes:

Thanks for the info on the shocks and the rollers - been up to the beach for a couple of days, I'll start looking around tonight for the bits and pieces.

After last night I don't think I'm a beer drinker either any more  :java:

And now another question.  I found this from Spy: 

"- The standard BWS rollers are Not 8.3gr they are heavier at about 10gr. There are no lighter genuine part rollers from Yamaha.
- Malossi do make rollers for the std variator and they are 8.3gr and work like a charm!! R295 for a set.
- Stage6 and Motoforce rollers are also available, they are 8.25gr and 8.3gr respectively. R295 & R265 a set.
:no: 6.5gr rollers are way too light for the BWS100, you'll have no topend!
- Lightest to go on the std variator is 7.5gr!"

Can I ask what weight I should be aiming for?  I think I've read about 'roller kits' available online that offer a range of weights - allowing for experimentation - I think this'd make sense.  I'd appreciate any links if someone has them.

Found this:  http://www.firenzee.com/gy6/Factory%20Roller%20Weight%20Sizes.pdf  says that stock rollers are 15x12 @ 8.3grams
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 03:34:06 PM by mooscoot »

Offline Spy

• TERRORIST
  • aka Adrian
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 01:57:21 PM »
Not sure about the cast wheels - they do have that appearance though.  Is that wheel type unusual?

Can I ask what weight I should be aiming for?  I think I've read about 'roller kits' available online that offer a range of weights - allowing for experimentation - I think this'd make sense.  I'd appreciate any links if someone has them.

Your wheels look like the aluminium cast one's. The most common wheel, and what we have, are the steel rims and don't look like yours!
Can you give me the first few Numerical numbers of your scoots chassis?
This is our wheel....

For a standard BWS, the best weight rollers are the 8.3gr in my opinion. The scoot will pull strong everywhere!
The 7.9gr also work, but make the scoot very 'racey'/'revy' when riding.
Kits are available from Stage6 but I already know what works with what, so don't bring them in.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:59:47 PM by Spy »