Author Topic: Stolen scooter  (Read 159 times)

Offline Zapcat

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • Hi, I was new once!
Stolen scooter
« on: November 30, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
I sold my scooter, in April, to my sisters neighbour who never put the bike in his name, I know I should have done it myself, but it was the same time I was moving to the coast. Last month when I bought a new car and was registering it on my name I found out the bike was still on my name. I called the chop only to be told that the scooter had been stolen with the signed papers under the seat, he can't remember exactly the date or if he has a case number, I think he smokes more than grass. I have done the affidavit thing and reported the scooter stolen. Seeing that the scooter is still on my name, if the scooter is found can I keep it or should I do the right thing and give it to him? He wouldn't be none the wiser, my sister doesn't live in the same complex anymore and he has also moved elsewhere.
I love traffic!!!!

Offline Trek8

• SR MEMBER
  • Scooter/Bike: Gilera Fuoco BMW K1200LT
  • Town: Sandton
Re: Stolen scooter
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
No chance it will be found - what have you been smoking?
As the registered owner apply to the licencing authority to get it scrapped and off your name.
Life  should NOT be a journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving safely in an attractive  and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in  sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
[url=http

Offline blujeenz

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • SPAM hunter
  • Scooter/Bike: Vuka XL110/Royal Enfield Bullet
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:51:37 PM »
Seeing that the scooter is still on my name, if the scooter is found can I keep it or should I do the right thing and give it to him? He wouldn't be none the wiser, my sister doesn't live in the same complex anymore and he has also moved elsewhere.

I wouldnt keep it, that kind of thing can bite you in the asss down the line.
Rather inform him that you have it and he can pick it up when he finally sorts out the paperwork.

Doesnt matter if he never finds out, you'll feel the weight on your mind in due course.

In the words of my fav poet/ philosopher, Kahlil Gibran:

...you can muffle the drum, and you can loosen the strings of the lyre, but who shall command the skylark not to sing?

Briefly, it means there are laws greater than mans laws, a wise man would not mess with them.

Offline Jonathan

• SR MEMBER
  • To GY6 or not to GY6... that is the question
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
If the scooter is still in your name aren't you liable for licensing fees until it's scrapped?  :rules:
Ecclesiastes 4:10

Current Project:
Honda CB250n (restoration)

Wishlist:
170cc GY6 runaround
100cc 2T racearound

Offline Zapcat

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • Hi, I was new once!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 07:01:42 PM »
I have asked him for the money for the licence fees and penalties, the licence fees expired in June, he has refused to pay, he says the bike is not his problem now that it is stolen.
I love traffic!!!!

Offline Zapcat

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • Hi, I was new once!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:03:50 PM »
Seeing that there is now money outstanding, don't I still own it until fully paid for????
I love traffic!!!!

Offline blujeenz

• FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • SPAM hunter
  • Scooter/Bike: Vuka XL110/Royal Enfield Bullet
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:09 PM »
I have asked him for the money for the licence fees and penalties, the licence fees expired in June, he has refused to pay, he says the bike is not his problem now that it is stolen.
He seems to have washed his hands of the matter, but that could change rapidly if he hears the bike has been recovered and you now have it.
Its a slippery slope. :)

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • twist & go
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 08:38:21 AM »
If the scooter is still in your name aren't you liable for licensing fees until it's scrapped?  :rules:
+1 ...

My theory is that he sold the bike for tik, papers and all.

YOU will have to complete a lost documents form, apply for a duplicate cert. of reg., then pay the outstanding license fees, then de-register the bike.

THEN ONLY report it stolen - otherwise you will enter the pits of administrative hell, if you do it the other way round!!!

EDIT:
Seeing that there is now money outstanding, don't I still own it until fully paid for????
No..? You did not mention any outstanding payment for the sale of the bike.

Because YOU  did not hand in the yellow change of ownership form, unfortunately the admin now lands in your lap, even though he is actually liable for those costs. This is why it is the seller's responsibility to hand in the completed yellow form, to absolve themselves of any further liability for fines, license fees, or other.

Regardless of who's name the bike is registered in, HE is still the legal owner now. IF the bike is recovered and you keep it, then that will be a case of theft & you could stand to get a criminal record, if proven guilty.

You want to sleep well and go to heaven one day :-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:16:28 PM by Stanthescooterman »
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma