Author Topic: What should I get?  (Read 340 times)

Sayon Pather

What should I get?
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:29:31 PM »
Hello, Scooterers and small bike enthusiasts...

I don't have much money, and certainly no knowledge... However I do have a burning need to drive between 35 to 70 km daily on my own steam. Naturally, I thought small bike or scooter. For me, this means the freeways between Verulam (on the North Coast of Durban) and Gateway (Theatre of Shopping- Umhlanga) and the M19 (beach road) to Sherwood (Westville).
Could anyone advise me what the most affordable and reliable option would be for this sort of daily commute? I really am getting the most mixed messages perusing the net by myself.
Hence I differ to this website's more knowledgeable, venerable, and learned two wheelists.... Please help with what would be my best option to get?
Many thanks,
Sayon

Offline Scorpius

• FREE STATE
  • FORUM MODERATOR II
  • LEGENDARY
  • KNERSUS
  • Scooter/Bike: Honda & Yamaha XS(Project)
  • Town: Sasolburg
Re: What should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »
Depends on your budget.  I'm biased and would suggest a Honda CBX250 Twister :evil: but also look at the 125/150 scoots and bikes.  If the "cheap" brands is acceptable,  look at the bashan/gomoto bikes and scoots as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

We ride together..
We drink together..
SAS Boys for life!!!

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • HOOLIGAN
  • twist & go
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:04:51 AM »
I don't have much money, and certainly no knowledge...
make sure that you don't exchange what little money you have for a pile of problems.
as a rule, the less you spend, the more you will end up spending, and always keep 20% of your budget aside for hidden costs.
Also budget for a decent entry level helmet and gloves.

I echo what SCorpius said. If you can afford to buy a low km one year-old 2nd hand geared motorcycle, 250cc or above, go for that.
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma

Offline Tarmac Terrorist

• SR MEMBER
  • Lekker in die Transvaal !!!!
  • BBM: Eish
  • Scooter/Bike: Hayabusa,SV1000S & E-Storm. EX: Vuka110 & BWS100
  • Town: Wild West Rand
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »
125 Honda E-Storm, Easy to ride can do 95km/h and very cheap to maintain. My son has one and he does around 550km a week from home to work and we have not had any trouble with it.

Offline dr.simon

• SPAM HUNTER
  • FORUM MODERATOR II
  • TOP GUN
  • Scooter/Bike: Sym 300i evo, Honda PCX
  • Town: Highlands North, Jhb
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »
What is your budget? We can then advise further! The fact that you're on freeways, means that you need something to keep up with traffic, so a 250cc, or above! So, I too, echo the sentiments of Scorp, and Stan! Keep something in reserve for kit, helmets, jackets etc!

Life is Great!!!!

Offline Gert

• SCOOTER BUM
  • Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: BWS100, Wee-Strom
  • Town: Eastern Cape
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »
Not to take away from the advice already given, but not all 250cc bikes can hold the 120 km/h speed for very long (if they can get there at all, will depend on many variables).
My ex-250 Twister ran well and was cheap to run. Fuel averaged 33 km/l, even cruising at 100 km/h for long periods. Change the paper oil filter with each oil change (3000 km) and you are good to go. My son ended up using the Twister when he went to varsity. One big dislike was each time the spark plug had to be replaced, I had to remove the fuel tank along with the necessary panels. Still better than changing spark plugs on most other super bikes.

Offline hloni

• SR MEMBER
  • Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: Java 170 Sport
  • Town: Randburg
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Can never go wrong with a 250 like a twister, Yamaha or a Kawa. "delivery bikes" are bullet proof and will purr without a problem for a day.

Offline Gert

• SCOOTER BUM
  • Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: BWS100, Wee-Strom
  • Town: Eastern Cape
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
I support the comment, "you can't go wrong with a 250 like a twister, yamaha or kawa".
There are a couple available, if you google Gumtree and filter on engine size. Don't be scared to ask for a better price when dealing with the seller, but only after viewing the bike of your choice. Check for things that will cost you to fix to validate the price drop.
Oh and some advice... be careful.. very careful, when buying anything from any online ad. Only had over your bucks once you sure that the paperwork is valid and in the name of the seller. Even better, let the seller go with you to change of ownership. It saves headaches further down the line. Been there done that.