Author Topic: Battery issues  (Read 177 times)

Online Robert100

• SCOOTER BUM
  • Scooter/Bike: BWS Yamaha R.1
  • Town: Johannesburg South
Battery issues
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
i think this goes under Laugh out Loud

this Weekend was really hectic with work and i hardly got enough sleep
so Monday morning i get to the Scooter and it doesn't start , hey no problem , i just kickstart it..
and blaze my way to work .
that afternoon it won't start again , so i kickstart it again ..
i needed petrol and again i had to kickstart ..

so today i work at home and once the shift is done i go outside as i been so busy all day
i realise i never sorted the issue with the flat battery , so i remove battery and place on charger
it shows 12.5 and within 30 seconds the charger indicates it is full ..
i left it to do it's thing cause  ... how can it be full ??
ok so about an hour ago i decide to put everything back and test it .. press starter and nothing .. eish
i see a stack of money flying away
i switch on the lights , nothing
i press hooter and BEEP ..
hmm so i have power but maybe the starter is bust - eish

WAIT
i pull the brake lever and press starter and it purrs to life

LOL
i blame old age and working too hard . :rules:

love the scooter ..

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • SUPER HERO
  • Twist & Go!
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
Re: Battery issues
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 05:41:55 AM »
 :rofl:

Don't stress - you were not the first one  :yes:

Thanks for sharing  :laugh:
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma

Offline Vincent

• SR MEMBER
  • Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
I've actually had a huge fight with the guy who sold me my battery. Also wouldn't start, but I did remember the brake... And it was only three months old, to boot!

They didn't have an old battery I could use in the scoot, didn't want to lend me a new one, and had to send it away for testing for more than a day. So I was going to put my old one at home in, and then bring my new one in to the shop.

So, after I had put the battery back in, and fastened the terminals, I tried to start it. Guess what? Turns out the terminal had come slightly loose! I had noticed this when I took out the battery, but didn't think too much of it, as I had geared myself up for a fight with the sales rep!

A couple of weeks later, I went past there to go and apologize...

I felt like such a tit!
  • Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc

Online Robert100

• SCOOTER BUM
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
 :popcorn:  it's good to laugh at yourself , whose got more stories ...

Offline SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
  • Scooter/Bike: Anything with two wheels and an engine
  • Town: Velddrif. West Coast
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:58 PM »
 :rofl: happened to me a few times....dont even mention the damn kill switch. I once pushed a friggen 1200 bandit for almost 10km....and the whole time the kill switch was in the wrong position.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:09:58 PM by SA SCOOTERS »
www.sascooters.co.za 

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. The rest was made in China.
Loncin 150 Racer, Honda 600XR, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide and a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Offline Trek8

• SR MEMBER
  • Scooter/Bike: Gilera Fuoco BMW K1200LT
  • Town: Sandton
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »
Do bikes still have petrol taps for on/off/reserve - thereby hang a number of embarrassing tales.
Life  should NOT be a journey to the grave with the  intention of arriving safely in an attractive  and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in  sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
[url=http

Offline SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
Do bikes still have petrol taps for on/off/reserve - thereby hang a number of embarrassing tales.
still get some old bikes with the tap...and the RES and ON is so worn off, the only way to find out which is which is by trial and error. Or now that we grown old and lazy (and wise..LOL)...removing the fuel pipe and checking which is which.
www.sascooters.co.za 

Loncin 150 Racer, Honda 600XR, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide and a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Online Robert100

• SCOOTER BUM
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
Many many years ago ,I learnt the art of fixing my own punctures .. it was very easy with plugs and c02 bombs ..
Then i moved from superbike to on/off road , eventually i got the opportunity to fix my back tyre ..

so with confidence , i quickly patched the backed tyre and even noted i had plenty of tread still on my T63 tyre , full knobblies ..

next morning the tyre was flat again , so i suspected it was the valve , which is something i'd need  :help: help with at my friendly bike dealer just 5km away

i was told that's not how you patch a tyre with a tube  :giveup:

Offline SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
Many many years ago ,I learnt the art of fixing my own punctures .. it was very easy with plugs and c02 bombs ..
Then i moved from superbike to on/off road , eventually i got the opportunity to fix my back tyre ..

so with confidence , i quickly patched the backed tyre and even noted i had plenty of tread still on my T63 tyre , full knobblies ..

next morning the tyre was flat again , so i suspected it was the valve , which is something i'd need  :help: help with at my friendly bike dealer just 5km away

i was told that's not how you patch a tyre with a tube  :giveup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: dont worry...i've seen okes in the karoo covered in sticky plugs and foam...  :rofl: :rofl:okes that never had bicycles when they were kids...  :rofl:
www.sascooters.co.za 

Offline Vincent

• SR MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Not bike or scooter related, but electrical. And the motor on the 1972 Datsun 1200 Deluxe is probably as powerful as a modern day scooter...

I was still in matric (1994), and the Datsun had been bought for my brother who was at varsity, but still not taking it there, as he was in the hostel, and made use of a bus...

I had 'stolen' the car and went to visit a friend while my parents had gone out for the day. When I wanted to leave, the car would not start! I asked my friend to help my push start the car, and we were trying for about 20 minutes, when I remembered something... My dad had done something with the distributor or coil or something so that when you pushed in the cigarette lighter, the car would not start... I had also gotten into the habit of pushing it in...

So I told my friend one last try! I pulled the cigarette lighter out of the 'ON' position, and on that last try, the car roared to life! (I had the sense not to just start it, otherwise he would have felt the last 20 minutes had been wasted!)

Online Robert100

• SCOOTER BUM
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Not bike or scooter related, but electrical. And the motor on the 1972 Datsun 1200 Deluxe is probably as powerful as a modern day scooter...

I was still in matric (1994), and the Datsun had been bought for my brother who was at varsity, but still not taking it there, as he was in the hostel, and made use of a bus...

I had 'stolen' the car and went to visit a friend while my parents had gone out for the day. When I wanted to leave, the car would not start! I asked my friend to help my push start the car, and we were trying for about 20 minutes, when I remembered something... My dad had done something with the distributor or coil or something so that when you pushed in the cigarette lighter, the car would not start... I had also gotten into the habit of pushing it in...

So I told my friend one last try! I pulled the cigarette lighter out of the 'ON' position, and on that last try, the car roared to life! (I had the sense not to just start it, otherwise he would have felt the last 20 minutes had been wasted!)

lol  :happy:  reminded me of the days i also took the car out for a quick spin around the block .. 
i didn't have the alarm remote , so i just unplugged the siren . :cager:

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • SUPER HERO
  • Twist & Go!
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
Vince, my first (and 2nd) cars were both Datsun 1200 Deluxes. What legendary cars!? And how simple to work on!?

Thanks for the cool story  :yes:
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma

Offline Vincent

• SR MEMBER
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
Vince, my first (and 2nd) cars were both Datsun 1200 Deluxes. What legendary cars!? And how simple to work on!?

Thanks for the cool story  :yes:
Have you seen what they go for today?! My dad bought it in 1991 for R2 100. The cheapest one on Gumtree is R32 000 (that is running!), and it doesn't have the original grill or taillights!

Like my 1990 Corolla Gli twincam I sold for R20 000 a couple of years ago (7 or 8), and now they average for about R50 000!