Author Topic: Underbone frame Vs integrated frame (vespa type)  (Read 65 times)

Offline Mat1998

• SR MEMBER
  • They see me rolling on two wheels
  • Scooter/Bike: Big boy rct 170, big boy revival 150
  • Town: Centurion
  • Whatsapp: 0788630709
Underbone frame Vs integrated frame (vespa type)
« on: May 12, 2018, 11:16:50 PM »
Hey guys, so I was looking at a couple of vepas and Ive always known they have a different frame type when compared to most Chinese Japanese and Taiwanese scooters, and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each frame type? Thanks!

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • SUPER HERO
  • Twist & Go!
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
Re: Underbone frame Vs integrated frame (vespa type)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:50:41 AM »
This is my understanding:

The Vespa-type scooter, to use a generic term that refers to the "classic metal" scooter, which includes the likes of the Zundapp Bella, NSU Prima, or the Lambretta, was conceptualised in an era when auto industries used a lot more metal in their desgign and manufacture of products. The all-metal monocoque frame/body was used because of ease of (and cost-saving for) mass-production, because it was far cheaper to spot-weld sheet-metal stampings together. The Vespa was conceptualised for "the masses" in Italy as an inexpensive and efficient form of personal transport.

Modern Vespas are still made this way to preserve tradition, especially in a "throw-away" plastic modern world. This is still one of Vespa's strong selling points, suporting their quality (and by their logic, partly justifying their high cost, because they have now priced themselves into the "lifestyle" bracket).

The later welded tube-type frame construction, found in most Asian (and European, including Piaggio) scooters is far better suited for more modern mass-production and lends itself more for to cost-saving with the use of more plastic body covers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:42:29 AM by Stanthescooterman »
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma