Author Topic: Wiring / short issue on Nitro  (Read 68 times)

Offline Vincent

• SR MEMBER
  • Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc
  • Town: Cape Town
Wiring / short issue on Nitro
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
Good morning!

This morning when I started my Nitro, I turned the ignition to 'ON', but did not immediately start the scooter. I first put on my gloves as the air is starting to get a bit of a bite in it in the mornings...

I noticed that my taillight was flickering... (it normally only comes on when the scooter is running)

It's an LED bulb that I have in. The scooter was standing outside, but it hadn't rained or anything, but there might be a bit of moisture from the previous night..)

Any ideas / suggestions, short of taking it to an auto electrician?

I suppose best option would be to take the taillight off and test it to see if there's any power on the wires. Also to see if there's any chafed spots on the insulation of the wires...? And moisture trapped inside the lens...
  • Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc

Offline SA SCOOTERS

• O HUMBLE ONE
  • REPTILE
  • INSANE
  • JUST RIDE...!!!!
    • SA SCOOTERS
  • Scooter/Bike: Anything with two wheels and an engine
  • Town: Velddrif. West Coast
Re: Wiring / short issue on Nitro
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:53:05 AM »
Certain LED bulbs starts flickering when they are failing. Saw the same thing on two previous LED spots i had at my house. Believe its a symptom of a failing LED driver.!?
Can also be under/over voltage protection of the LED driver. And my guess is your battery is a bit drained from standing outside in the cold. Check the voltage. Some LED's starts doing that under 10V.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:56:08 AM by SA SCOOTERS »
www.sascooters.co.za 

In the beginning God made the heaven and the earth. The rest was made in China.
Loncin 150 Racer, Honda 600XR, BMW R1100S, HD 1340 Electra Glide and a Fishing Kayak...What more can a man ask for?

Offline Vincent

• SR MEMBER
  • Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc
  • Town: Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
Certain LED bulbs starts flickering when they are failing. Saw the same thing on two previous LED spots i had at my house. Believe its a symptom of a failing LED driver.!?
Can also be under/over voltage protection of the LED driver. And my guess is your battery is a bit drained from standing outside in the cold. Check the voltage. Some LED's starts doing that under 10V.

I hope not! They're damn expensive, for a taillight bulb! R75. And they're nice and bright! Hopefully it's the battery being cold, but it started no problem...

It blew a normal incandescent bulb (the taillight, not the brake light) in December, and then a while later a LED (also only tail light, brake light still worked...) I gave the light to my toddler to play with, so not sure if it was him or not, but later saw what looked like water that had dried up on the bulb...
  • Yamaha XT 550 / Yamaha Nitro 100cc

Offline Stanthescooterman

• Senior Adviser
  • FORUM MODERATOR I
  • SUPER HERO
  • Twist & Go!
  • Scooter/Bike: KYMCO Super8, Downtown 300i, BMW F800GS
  • Town: (021)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
Dude, if your bike is popping bulbs, you need to do a charge rate test on the bike, in case your regulator has failed.

You may have answered your own question.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:38:34 PM by Stanthescooterman »
Previous bikes & scooters:
BMW C600 Sport
Kymco Grand Dink 250 (300),
BMW F650GS Dakar,
Gilera Runner 180,
Kymco Agility 125,
Kymco TB100,
Kymco Heroism KH125,
Honda CBX550FII,
Suzuki RG50 Gamma