Author Topic: Break in period??  (Read 79 times)

Offline Madness1982

• Hi, I'm new here and still figuring out how to work this forum
  • Scooter/Bike: Big boy adventure RS 150
  • Town: Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
  • Whatsapp: 0718186391
Break in period??
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have had scoots for a while. My last was a lifan 125cc. I have just bought a new big boy adventure RS 150 and want to know why it's won't do more than 60km/h. I know there is a break in period, but the manual states not to ride it over 70km/h for the first 500kms. I can't even get that speed. It's quick to get up to 60km/h, but then it's dead from there on. It does eventually go a bit faster, but like an "hour" later. My lifan would accelerate to 90km/h easily and then tap off. What's going on here?????
I never ride it hard, just gently open throttle till it gets to its 60km/h top end and then it's dead, if I open throttle more, nothing, doesn't rev higher, just eventually pics up a tiny bit more speed. Some home I don't think it's cos it needs to be run in more, any help would be appreciated.

PS: I weigh 90kg....

Thanks and cheers.
  • Big boy adventure RS 150

Offline 1200GXman

• SCOOTER FREAK
  • Hi, I'm new here
  • Scooter/Bike: Bike
  • Town: Bloemfontein
Re: Break in period??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »
Is it possible that a restrictor of some sort is installed for the run in period?
As I understand you must take it in to the agents for a checkup at the 1000km mark. Maybe the restrictor is then removed.
Phone them and ask them about your problem and let us know. Never heard of this before.
  • 2015 Honda XR150L

Offline Mat1998

• SR MEMBER
  • They see me rolling on two wheels
  • Scooter/Bike: Big boy rct 170, big boy revival 150
  • Town: Centurion
  • Whatsapp: 0788630709
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
Sounds perfectly normal. I weigh 55 kg and i have the rct 170 and my top speed is a little over 80km/h. These scooters aren't built for speed, was your lifan a bike or a scooter? But your roller weights could be one of the issues. Different rollers depending on their weight either give you slower acceleration with a higher top speed or faster acceleration with a slower top speed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:34:42 PM by Mat1998 »

Offline Shehzaad

• SCOOTER BUM
  • Scooter/Bike: Scooter
  • Town: Durban
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
From what I know there in no resistor.  Your engine it's still very new as you continue to ride and mileage goes up you eventually gain the top speed you want.  In my case my bike made proper speed when I hit around 3000km.
  • Nippi ballistic si
150cc Gomoto Nippi Ballistic Si
Power flow performance exhaust
Performance air filter
Modder carb
Oil change done ever 1000km
Current mileage over 10000km and stull running strong
Long live my china scooter